Monday, September 11, 2006

The basics: I am a 25 year old with a bachelors in History from Texas A&M University. I am keeping this blog for the adventure that will be teaching English in Fuzhou China.

I had even planned out a better blog before now, I have to be done packing before Wednesday afternoon(So much to do between today and Thursday!). Maybe I can do a better pre-China blog before Thursday. This one will be some basic information about my flight and the city of Fuzhou itself.

If you're keeping score at home (and I actually mail this out to a few people) please pray that 25 hours on a plane doesn't drive me mad before I get to Fuzhou. Here's the travel itinerary:
United Airlines 993
Depart:
7:51ammorning
Houston, TX Houston George Bush Intercntl. (IAH)
Arrive:
10:00ammorning
San Francisco, CA San Francisco International (SFO)
View/change seats
Depart:
1:38pmafternoon
San Francisco, CA San Francisco International (SFO)
Arrive:
4:55pmafternoon
Beijing, China Beijing Capital (PEK)
Depart:
7:50pmevening
Beijing, China Beijing Capital (PEK)
Arrive:
10:25pmevening
Fuzhou, China Fuzhou (FOC)

I'm pretty sure most of the readers here are CST kinda people. Keeping that in mind, Fuzhou is 14 hours ahead of of our fine central standard time. The whole of China operates on their own time zone (despite the fact they occupy at least 6 time zones--must be that whole focus on the worker thing). I'll be crossing the International Date Line for the first time in my life, that's pretty danged exciting as well.

Here's a few websites that can tell you more about Fuzhou that I'm currently able to spit out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzhou

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/fujian/fuzhou/index.htm

http://www.chinatour.com/attraction/fuzhou.htm

If you don't have time to look at all of them you should at least look at the wikipedia article. That's mainly because I feel like hot stuff for finding wikipedia before it was trendy to look at wikipedia.

In the next blog, I will talk about goals, travel plans, etc..

That's all for now, I'll be working on trying to send this out to folks for the rest of my internet time this morning/afternoon.

6 Comments:

Blogger aggierudy3 said...

I'm so excited for you!! Be sure to take lots to read on the plane. It amazes me how time seems to spot when you are in the air.

8:55 AM  
Blogger aggierudy3 said...

The last flight I took to China went over the Artic so it was about 14 hours. I think the one I took from LAX to China was about the same.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I visited that first link just for you.

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baw baw baw baw

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James I just got your blog... I am so happy you are doing well and learning great things. You will never regret this experience and how God will use this in your life. This is the time while you are still single that God can use you best before you get married and have children. I will be praying for His guidance daily and that all your needs will be supplied. You are a blessing to a lot of people who cannot do what you are doing. Be a vessel for God and the possibilities are endless with Him. Love Iris

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was once an english teacher as a volunteer in the countryside, and i taught 40kids,i like that job, but i dont have much experience in teaching,but anyway the kids were working very hard . since you are an english teacher in fuzhou,i guess you must have some experience, do you want to share it with others,im a green hand, hehe,if you are willing to share your experience plz skype me(katherine221).good luck

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home