Friday, September 15, 2006

What a day Thursday was for me! It started at 6 am in Houston, TX and by way of San Francisco and Beijing I ended up at Fuzhou, China at 11:30 China time. That's 26 some odd hours of travel. I wrote some general impressions yesterday so I'll share those now:

I barely saw much of San Francisco though I was spellbound by the general area by the airport. The airport is a massive structure and a true work of architecture. I decided to attempt to see some of the city during my layover. I took a hotel shuttle (don't tell anyone because I really wasn't supposed to take it because I wasn't staying at the hotel). I had hoped to see some of the aestetic sites of San Fran proper.

Nestled is the best way to describe the area of the city I saw. The area also seems like its a very dense population-like you'd expect from California. The shuttle had big windows and I loved looking out of them and seing far and wide. Gas ran anywhere from $2.90 to $3.05. Little did those suckers realize that Texans were paying $2.21 per gallon. I got to see the Pacific Coast Highway for the first time, that is the famed HWY 101 that shows up in Hitchcok movies and other oldies but goodies.

San Francisco Bay itself was neat. I didn't see the Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz while I was there. There was another bridge further south on the pennisula SF sits on that I saw from afar. I walked for awhile and when I started back I was hoping to catch my flight.

The best thing about all of my flights was that I had an aisle seat every time. The 12 hour flight from SFO to PEK (Beijing) I was really lucky because my seats were at the front of a grouping and I had plenty of leg room. There was a couple sitting next to me that was planning on adopting a Chinese baby (Tanya I thought of you when I heard that).

I passed through customs rather easily. I didn't see any armed guards with AK-4 7's so that's a disappointment I can live with. The worst part of the whole customs and luggage experience was that the strap on my black duffle bag ripped in Beijing when I tried picking it up. A Chinese gentleman from Dallas saw my Texas A&M hat and pointed me to the information desk when I had questions (it pays to be an Aggie-even in China).

I ate some weird bread on the way from Beijing to Fuzhou. I think it had kelp in it or something, it had a very different tasted. I have seen many pretty Chinese girls, though I assure all my readers that I am not in a proactive search for one.

I will let this go for a day and then I will post general thoughts on Fuzhou when I've had longer than 12 hours to contemplate them...I will say this though: the drivers are MAD!

Hope you enjoy!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha...if I were only an aggie, I would never get lost.
I'm glad you had aisle seats and got there safely. I did some research on your new home and saw that the architecture is cool. Let me know what you think.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James we are praying for you-- will get back to lauren about her email. Iris

7:34 AM  
Blogger Judith Johnson said...

We're so glad that you arrived safely! We'll have to mail you some more aggie apparel -- it must be FU (lucky)! The kids thought that seeing your picture on the computer (or "pooter" as Pierce says) was really cool.

8:10 AM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

Hey James!

Glad you made it OK. You are going to have a ball, dude!

Keep up the posts. Sandi and I will be reading.

Love you,
Jay

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Glad you made it there AOK! I hope you enjoy China...what an experience of a lifetime, be thankful for all the opportunities you'll encounter! Keep smiling :-)

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi James -
Wow your new adventure is so exciting. What a blessing! I will share the news with the folks at New Beginnings. God has great plans for you. Enjoy the journey.
Your in our prayers-

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daschgenn Haffel nein fuhrehrdann nobb deutschland mein kampf baw baw baw baw

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, just wanted to tell you good luck and you will be back here in a flash! Keep smiling- oh, and open the attachment in your e-mail...

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is doing those comments??? Must be David... Anyway, just wanted to say hey, and you need to realize that you were right in all those arguments we had a long time ago... Go AGGIES! :-)

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason Carver's wife just had thier baby today. Yesterday I got to share the RR with someone. I am thinking of you and speaking higly of to my best friend. lots of luv dave dover

7:04 AM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

Wer ist dieses Adoph Hitler und was tut er aus einem Rahmen heraus?

5:34 AM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:34 AM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:35 AM  
Blogger katherineChina said...

hello,is your name james,just by chance i know your skype account, and you seem have a lot of fun in fuzhou ,,how are you doing. by the way im katherine (chinese)now in fuzhou ,studying,i will graduate soon,,
good luck,

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home