Monday, September 18, 2006

More adventures today! I went and put travelers cheques in a bank account this afternoon, we tried a couple of banks and were rejected each time. Finally we (I had a translator named Jane) went to the Bank of China Fujian Province Branch, and after alot of translating and explanation that even I wasn't sure of, I have money in my pocket and money in the Bank of China.

Money shouldn't be that big of a worry for me though. I will pay a little over $100 and get a years worth of internet. It's not wireless but I have a CAT cable that should work (thanks bro!). I will have to get a cell phone here (DRAT!) but it only will cost about $30 and you pay as you go (apparently for very cheap). I'll also be getting a nice webcam for about $10.

Other expenses aren't bad, from the time I stepped off the plane in Beijing I had $20. After a trip to Wal-Mart for necessities, numerous bottles of water, and taxi rides I still have about fourty cents! Apparently they are going to show us a bus route to get to our apartment which will run me under a dollar a day for transportation. I am going to wait a few days before I work on the headache that will be sending money back home (hang tight mom!its on my list of things to do). If you want to talk to me on the phone go to skype and download the program. If we speak computer to computer its absolutely free and you can ask family members and they will tell you it has excellent sound quality, my friend Christina said "It's just like you're in Waco". I am not being paid for that advertisement btw.

I don't know if I said it before but if you know anyone that would like to receive my blog feel free to let them know about it and let me know their email address. I know this one is coming a little quicker than the others, but alot's gone on.


That's all from Fuzhou for now. Have a good one!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James,
I say that a lot of updates are better than just a few, so keep them coming! :) Glad to hear you had a safe flight that included lots of leg room! (I understand That luxury.) After reading those couple updates I am just more excited for you! I can't wait to read about your apartment. Has anyone commented how tall you are yet? Haha!
Talk to you Soon,
Racheal
P.S. Good choice for your blog pic. :D

5:57 AM  
Blogger Judith Johnson said...

SERIOUSLY!?!?! They actually have a WALMART in your city???? That is scary!

Do you have an address yet? Let me know if you need anything.

I agree with Racheal -- for now you should send us frequent updates to let us know how you are adjusting. These first few weeks will hold the most interesting adventures.

I didn't think about how you must look like a giant to them. Unless you include YAO, they probably don't see people your height very often.

Love you, Judith (sister)

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't say you sound like you're in Waco, I accused you of actually being in Waco and fooling everyone. Yeah, I think that's it, you're probably hanging out at Common Grounds scoping out the Baylor girls now ...
You should start teaching us chinese words. We all want to be multilingual. And you are a teacher of a foreign language after all. :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

Hey James:

What's happening? We're not hearing any news.

Lot of talk about J-Lane's fat and Goodson's bad hands. No news on Lewis's real or imagined "injuries".

Consensus out here is that Bullit can't cover on man defense. It was a bad personnel assignment by narF on the fourth and 1 on the 8 in in the 4Q. I will be listening to Sirius radio and on the computer tonight.

Gig 'em

6:23 AM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

I'm worried. Has anyone heard from Jamz?

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home