Sunday, September 24, 2006

It has been a little over a week since I arrived Fuzhou, China. My brother asked me a few days ago if am still happy or if I regret my decision. I must say overwhelmingly: I am very happy with my decision. Like any place there are a few setbacks here and there, but I have enjoyed my time here without a doubt.

I started teaching a few days ago and my impressions reflect an idiom I've heard from teachers many times "I think I learned more from the students than they learned from me". My students are as young as 8 and as old as 30.

The first class I started was one for Chinese students wanting to go abroad and need some basic English to get around. I came into the class feeling I was so smart and had so much to impart on them. After 5 minutes I noticed the confused look on their faces and realized they really didn't understand much of what I was saying. I've also noticed that idioms are mostly useless in conversation with students and people that aren't excellent English speakers. In the going abroad class I used the term "guinea pig" and then realized I had just went over everyone's heads. I teach that class again soon so we will take Chairman Mao's advice during the Industrial Revolution and take "...two steps back to take one step forward".

The translators (official title=Course Consultant) at English First Fuzhou are excellent. I have made very good friends with the only guy, Jerry. I don't think they get paid that great, but the service they offer helps all the teachers (especially the new ones that know only about 10 chinese words). When it gets around Christmas time I might ask that my friends and family send Jerry something. He's a very good guy and speaks excellent English. He said he learned watching American movies. You might consider putting Jerry in your thoughts when you think about me...

I have done a bit of observation of other teachers and one of the best experiences I've had in Fuzhou has been observing at Fuzhou Primary School. It's a local public school and the children there are so loving and wonderful. When I was around those children I got a warm feeling realizing that the smiling faces and laughter was one of the things that made me want to teach.

Yesterday Jerry, his girlfriend, and I went to the local mountain, Gu Shan. It's a very high mountain at the edge of town. We climbed up for a good way with numerous breaks in between (because of the big out of shape American in the party). We unfortunatly ran out of time for the day, but I plan on going back. I plan on getting a bike very soon and that will aid my health and amount of exercise greatly.

Because the area is quite smoggy I have been fighting a good bit of throat and drainage issuses. I think my stomach is starting to get used to the food, but I'm sure there's a nice case of food poisoning right around the corner.

If you have read this let me know how you are doing, I love getting the updates and such. I miss everyone but I am happy to be where I am!

8 Comments:

Blogger aggierudy3 said...

I thought I was immune to food poisoining, but this summer on my trip I got a nasty case of it. There is something especially terrifying about being sick over a squatty! Hope you never have to deal with the experience.

I noticed the idiom thing when I was teaching English to Chinese students at A&M. It was not always enough to use simple vocabulary, often the whole structure of what I was trying to say had to be different than if I was speaking to a native speaker.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi james!
i am so happy you are loving china.
missing our daily chats, but am excited for you!
take care!

alex

9:19 PM  
Blogger InkDemon said...

Hey Jamz,

You're right Idioms should not be used when teaching new English students. Now you become aware how many idioms, slang, and jargon we use without thinking. This is something we learn in Journalism school. All English writing and speech can be clarified by removing idioms, slang and jargon.

I see you have already begun quoting from Chairman Mao. Ha Ha.

Keep walking until you make it to the top of that mountian. Maybe we will see a slimmer, trimmer Jamz the next time.

Take care,
EG & TB

4:53 AM  
Blogger Judith Johnson said...

Nah, our family have cast-iron stomachs; you'll be fine. Can you get antihistimines there? Do you need me to send you anything? What is your mailing address?

Let us know what we could send to Jerry.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James!

Just wanted to say I am really enjoying your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts. Sounds like you're having a really great life experience. I'm really happy for you!

Shoot me an email if you have time - talk to you later!

Bethany

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James!
Im so glad your experience is going so well. :D I love reading your updates. I have to go do homework, but Ill write you an email soon.
Talk to you soon,
Racheal

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're doing well and having a great experience, James! I really enjoy reading your updates. Hope to talk to you soon!
~Mandy :)

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James!!!!! I didn't know you were going to be gone this early until I read your Facebook note. I thought you were still waiting for passport type stuff and so on!!! If you have any inspirational teaching stories or want to share frustrations....send me an email! Alli

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home