Friday, September 29, 2006

Bicycle and Holiday in Hong Kong


I now have two weeks of work under my belt and quite a few classes. I feel like everytime I step in front of the classroom and teach I need to tweak something about my teaching. I think that is good and I hope I can always improve on what I'm doing as a teacher.

This week was heavy on marketing. Marketing includes going to schools in the area and passing out flyers to parents and children. Everyday I did not really feel like going to pass out flyers, but everyday I had a great experience.

The first day, I passed out flyers and said "Ni-Hao" to all the students and their smiles made it worth it. Then on Wednesday a girl about 15 or 16 came up to talk to me and she spoke excellent English. She told me she wanted to go to the United States and she had high hopes to do so. In our long conversation, I told her that no matter what she should keep her dream alive and work hard and she could make it come true for herself. She took down my email and I hope she emails me sometime.

Finally, on Thursday and Friday I went to a couple of primary schools where the kids aged from 6 to 10. They wanted me to speak in English (a couple of kids particuarly liked me saying twenty-five for how old I am) and many smiles were exchanged. Numerous ones said in that amazed voice that kids everywhere do- "LAO-WI" which means foreigner. I think my big, tall, white, hairy, left handed, American Football loving ways make for something very different than what most kids, and people, are used to around here.

Before I finished work yesterday (Friday), I took my fresh wad of RMB (it was payday) and spent 738 of it on a new bicycle and heavy duty chain. An excellent bike I priced in Waco, Texas, USA a few months before I left was over $400. Now I have this brand name, beautiful, one year service-warrantied bike, which came out to.......(drum roll)........less than $100. WUHOO

I have already taken the bike to and from work. A few more weeks and maybe I'll be able to scale Gushan (the mountain) and go to places beyond. Places especially like Huang Shan a place I have read about from a book in my mom's library. There is a peak there called "Capital of Heaven". Many Chinese people consider it the most beautiful place in the country. I do not think I could leave here without visiting.

Now that my first two weeks are done it's time for---vacation??? Yes! It is National Holiday time for the year and what better way to celebrate the banishment of Chang Kia-skek (in my readings and study I have found him to be a stubborn idiot, who probably got what he deserved) and the welcome of Communism, than to go the freest place in China, Hong Kong.

I actually didn't choose this vacation, rather I have to go get a work visa because my travel visa runs out in a few weeks. I might have already mentioned this in past blogs, but the trip was planned, then cancelled, then planned again because of the possibility that I needed a medical check. Apparently the school thought I needed one then found out I didn't so Hong Kong is a-go!

I have many more trips planned, and I should probably get my camera out and take pictures pretty soon. If you are reading this and you are not on my mailing list but you would like to get updates the same day as I update my blog, email me at aggiejamz@gmail.com and I will put you on the list.

Thanks for visiting, come back to Fuzhou soon!

11 Comments:

Blogger InkDemon said...

Hey Jamz,

Glad you got those wheels. You are going to be a lean, mean, bicycling machine in no time. Looking forward to see those images of China from your camera.

Take care!
EG&TB

6:45 AM  
Blogger aggierudy3 said...

Hong Kong! I love HK! I was only there over night last time, so I just had a chance to walk down Nathan Street and have a drink at Starbucks, but I lived there for a month in 2002. It so funny to me that a city on the other side of the world where I barely speak any of the language feels homey.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, it just now hit me how really awesome it is that you got to go to China and achieve what you set out to do... I'm extremely proud of you and expect more good things for you over the next few years! I look forward to next year when both of us are actually both in the States...

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Sounds great. Makes me miss being abroad a lot. Good for you for getting out there and exploring though! Have a fun trip to Hong Kong!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey james--
hooray for your brand new.....BIcycle..Biclycle.....i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike......oh, whoops. ahem, well, a new shiny pair of wheels is always nice.
not much going on in SF, weather is cool and foggy (which i love)..and it is a saturday (which means i'll more than likely end up doing homework).
i wish i could go to hong kong!!! i could seriously use a vacation...midterms are only a week away.


take care, stay out of trouble, and god bless!

alex

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey james--
hooray for your brand new.....BIcycle..Biclycle.....i want to ride my bicycle, i want to ride my bike......oh, whoops. ahem, well, a new shiny pair of wheels is always nice.
not much going on in SF, weather is cool and foggy (which i love)..and it is a saturday (which means i'll more than likely end up doing homework).
i wish i could go to hong kong!!! i could seriously use a vacation...midterms are only a week away.


take care, stay out of trouble, and god bless!

alex

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that things are going so well! This is all most excellent. James is taking China by storm. Congrats on the bike, too! The bike I bought here in DC for $600 is probably less than $100 over there, too. Grrr....but anyway, take care and I hope you enjoy Hong Kong! Start snapping pics!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James its Liz, Gabby and Lucas really miss you. Gabby said to send you lots of kisses for her. We just got back into our new church building today. It looks awesome. You will have to come see it when you get back. Great deal on your bike and I am so happy you are enjoying it there. I wasn't sure you were going to. Your dad asks me if I get your blog all the time! I think he is really proud of you. Well Lucas(Wookie) sends you belly pets, Gabby sends you Kisses, Tracy, Jason, Billy, and of course me =) sends you best wishes.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, flyers humm, remindes me of mcc days, now you remember that they pay off not because of the flyer, but because of the best friend behind the sence, your doing great tell some of him. luv dave your friend.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I enjoy reading about what's going on in your neck of the woods. Ha!
I will share the info with the folks at NBBC. Have a great week.
Your in our prayers -

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man to know that you are there and doing so good is very inspiring to me. You always knew how to inspire people James. Even the type of person noone wanted to give a chance to and always gave up on. I am sorry I haven't been able to keep in touch, but I will do better with that now. Friends for life man.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home