Monday, November 06, 2006

Sorry for the delay...lots to report:

Before I start here is some important contact information:
My address is:
Gu Lou Qu Hu Bin Lu 78#
Min Fa Xi Hu Guang Chang 1# 202
Fu zhou, Fu jian, PRC

(This will reach me at school, I am moving in the next two weeks).

My phone number (in case you really need it) is:
13459484631 (please keep in mind that I am 14 hours ahead of you).

It's been almost a month. I'm rather upset with this site right now because I can't access other peoples blogs. I think that's the biggest reason for not getting back with you. I do apologize.

Let's go over some of the biggest events of the past month:

I'm such a loser:
I've lost a few things since I've been in Fuzhou. The best thing I've lost is approximately 40 lbs. I eat most of the time, I've been told if I learn more chinese food names, the weight loss is alot harder to get off. With my only ways to get around being bike and foot I think I could come back 1/3 less of the man I was before (probably quite literally).

As a result of losing weight, pants fall off easier and pockets are less secure. One day after doing an English corner (English conversation with grade school students) I was in a taxi headed back to EF School and my phone fell out of my pocket. I didn't realize this happened until 10 minutes after I left the taxi. In China if you lose something you can count on not getting it back.

The worst loss (notice I went from good to bad to worst) was my wallet. I got off work late a week ago and I went to the store to get some dove chocolate (all other chinese chocolate just tastes "off"). Somewhere between riding off satisfied with my treat and throwing away the wrapper down the street, my wallet departed from my person. I thought I had left it down the street so I decided to make more memories....

Accident:
Racing back to the store where I bought the chocolate to retrace my steps I crossed a street as fast as I could. I began a good lesson that night and now am fully aware: Large vehicles such as vans don't stop for bicyclers in China. This particular van almost hit me so I laid my bike down (skidded it to the side to keep from being hit). My front tire was ruined and I was pretty upset at that point. Lucky for me some Canadians saw the whole thing. They have been in China for awhile and were able to help me go to a bike shop to get my bike fixed for 10 RMB ($1.25). I count my blessings on that one.

Emergency Room visit:
Being that Saturday is my hardest day (3 childrens classes and sometimes an English corner in addition), I decided to catch early sleep on Friday night. I woke up at about 11 in the evening with a slight pain in my ankle. I decided to make sure it was elevated, iced, and wrapped in a bandage but all the precaution just aggrevated it. It grew from a slight pain to my ankle having its own pulse and hurting worse than my foot has ever hurt. By 3 oclock I had screamed a few prayers and decided I should call someone to take me to the hospital.
Deciding who the person should be to take me to the hospital was tricky, especially when the obvious choice had their phone turned off. I called Jerry first (because hes the best translator/helper we have). After Jerry I tried the most experienced teacher at my school, Jim. He didn't answer so I tried Jeremey, the French guy (another failure). Then I called Jaimie, Jim's girlfriend and my fellow American, who answered and helped me out.
Jaimie answered and brought her Chinese speaking friend to translate to the doctor for me. I hobbled all the way from my house to the street (quite a ways). After x-rays and laying in the wheeled bed for awhile they gave me some medicine that has worked wonders. I owe Jaimie and Dorris a meal at least.


Reflections:
I am definitely missing home, but I am happy with the experience I am having here. It's hard to believe i have been here over 8 weeks now. I am afraid that if I don't start getting out more, this experience will pass me by. The foot should be fully healed soon and then I will make that effort. I might put a list of things that would be appreciated to have (cheese snacks, dr. pepper, oh my!) hopefully a family member or two could help me out with that (maybe mom can send me some smaller clothes in a couple more weeks).

My friend Christina had the notion that Baylor would beat my Aggies so we made a small wager on the game. Had Baylor won, I would have had to say lies such as: "Clay Aiken is a good singer". Because the Aggies won, I should get a care package with goodies from her in the coming weeks (isn't she a good friend?).

Thanks for stopping by! Come back to Fuzhou again soon (your tour guide will try to keep better hours this month, promise).

Again if you would like to be a subscriber to this blog and get the updates (which I promise there will be plenty more, including pictures) email me at aggiejamz@gmail.com. I have class so I need to go for now. Bye!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken is a good singer! I'm sure all of your other blog readers agree. :) I'll get that care package in the mail soon, even though Baylor should have won.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken is a CRAP singer.
You know, at least you dropped your wallet. Thats way better and not nearly as stupid as just leaving it somewhere!
I'm glad you are having a nice time.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL That is quite a day. I would have cried and eaten more Dove chocolate by the end of it! LOL

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken should have his own feminine barbie doll...

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clay Aiken can sing; he just SHOULDNT. :D
Hope you had a good weekend. Happy Late Thanksgiving. Eat some sushi for me! Hope all is well with the Mes.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just checking in to see how things are. You need an update with pics, Captain Lost Weight. Anyways, its time for Finals around here... boy, dont you miss those...not! Have a good week.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home