Tuesday, December 26, 2006

New Blog...It's about time

I apologize for not blogging. I really don't like putting blogs up that I can't see, though somehow today blogspot.com is working so maybe everything is a-okay for this website.

Dear Chinese web censors,
My blog seeks not to degrade your country or its people. I am actually a big fan of this place...please allow me to continue viewing.

Love,
James the teacher in Fuzhou

I guess some of the biggest news is Christmas in Fuzhou. It's my first Christmas away from family and friends. One of my best Christmas memories ever happened here at work yesterday:

Many of you know Jerry, the Chinese worker at my school. Jerry has been a constant help to me and all the other foreign teachers. All of us acknowledge that our life would be a little more difficult without Jerry's helping hand. He's a hard worker who rarely complains and does his best to further the school and represent China in a positive way.

A few weeks ago Jerry came to hang out with all of the teachers. After he left he went straight home forgetting his bike at a store. He didn't realize it until the next morning and when he went to check on his bike it had been stolen by the ever active Fuzhou bike thieves.

After this incident the teachers resolved to get Jerry a bike for Christmas. It would only cost between 100 and 200 RMB and would be a great present for a great guy. On the 22nd I went and saw Jeremy (the French Guy) buy the bike for Jerry, while I bought my own (a Giant Brand ATX 680, Giant is one of the best brands in the world, my bike is next to this paragraph). I even registered my bike online! Though I am not sure they will honor it because I am in China.

On Christmas day I arrived at work at about 1. My coworkers and I began the gift exchange. When Jerry got keys (to his lock) he had no idea what was going on. He was told he had to look around for it. He finally found it in one of the classrooms. He hugged all the teachers. When he got to me he started crying. I got the chance to hold a grown man who was overwhelmed by the generosity of a few foreigners who couldn't help but love him for his year-round goodness. If that's not what Christmas is about I don't know what is.

Singin':
On the 23rd I had a full day of kids classes and then had to go to a Christmas party for people who love to speak English. I had been asked to present a 5 minute showcase of a talent. I had no idea what I was going to do until an hour before the party. I was riding home quickly to pick up a little money and hit a elderly lady. Before you get mad at me she was in somewhat Fuzhou fashion looking the opposite way from the way I was coming. She failed to check the road before crossing. Luckily, I barely hit her. It was more my bike was breaking and hit her knee making her trip over my wheel and she fell down. When I got back to the office I had a song to write and sing for the party. It goes a little something like this:

Grandma Got Ran Over by a Lao-Wai

Grandma got ran over by a lao-wai (a foreigner)
Walking to her house on the eve of Christmas Eve
You might not believe you have to look both ways crossing the street...
But as for me and Grandpa we believe

It was late and she'd been drinking too much Bi-Jou (a potent Chinese alcohol)
And we begged her not to go...
And when she collided with that big bike
She tripped over the wheel and fell into the road.

When we found her on Christmas morning
At the scene of the big wreck
She had thrown out her poor hip
and had Giant brand tread marks on her back...

Happily the lady did not break anything (had this happened I would have felt really bad despite not being at fault). And her family only seemed relieved that everything was okay. Because the situation turned out 0kay, I feel no remorse for the song.


In other news I am now down to 235. I think some of it is from getting sick a couple of weeks ago and not having comfort food to regain any of the weight. I don't do anything special except eat Chinese food and bike/walk around everywhere. I am not purposely starving myself, though my 1000000 chinese mothers (girls and chinese people who love giving health advice) say I don't need to lose weight. These same "mothers" have all sorts of good advice...my friend Jane has great things to say about eating meat (that is a little too risque to put on this blog, but was really funny when she said it none the less-email me if you want the health advice).

A WHOLE LOT OF SHAKING GOING ON:

One of the coolest tidbits is something that happened just a few hours ago to my writing this. At about 8:30 pm on Tuesday 12/26 a 7.1 earthquake hit the southern Taiwan area. Being just a couple of hundred miles from Taiwan, Fuzhou was at the western edge of the quake. It was my first earthquake and quite an exciting one. So far only one death has been reported and few injuries or major damage so that good to know. There was apparently a 3 foot tsunami heading for the Philippines but that's only 1/10 of the size of the tsunami that happened 2 years ago to the day.

I need to give some hellos:

Josh Salas-Young man I am sooo proud of you for you and your team making it to the State finals in football. I hope you got to play alot more (something about your heart when I saw you play makes me think you saw your share of plays down the road). I hope you always remember that. Always keep your mind in the right places, trust me sometimes its not always easy. You/your mom should let me know where you decided to go to college (if you have made this decision).

Christina Molloy- your Christmas package was greatly enjoyed by me and the rest of the office. I've never had a bag of cheetos last that long in my life. Something about lacking certain things makes you enjoy little amounts more. You've been a great friend and I wish you could hang out in Fuzhou.

My Father and George Terry- Dad sent me another great care package full of things that have just about been devoured completely. Bro. George added in some cashews from Belize are better than any other cashews I've had. I love you dad! Bro. George, I've decided to go to a Spanish speaking country next. I have been looking over some spanish and have decided when I have a little experience this is the next move I need to make in the next year/year and a half. Dad maybe you can come see me.

Paris and Pierce-whose "Elf Yourself" photos were absolutely cute. I miss you guys I need a big hug from the both of you very soon.

Maya-Let's meet in about 9 months...deal? You might possibly be tied for cutest niece ever (I'd say its a real possibilty)


If I don't post another blog within 20 days everyone on my mailing list can slug me (or appoint someone to do it).

Thanks for coming to visit Fuzhou! I hope this visit was a good one! If you want to be on my mailing list send me an email at aggiejamz@gmail.com and let me know! Pass this along to anyone who might be interested. If you have any questions about China/Fuzhou/EF...email or comment and I'll try to answer them in blogs from time to time. Maybe I can have a FAQ blog.

See you next time!
James





7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey James,

Sounds like you are having the time of your life! We are all rooting for you. Keep in touch.

Love,
Sandi & Jay

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, questions. I'm sure I can think of a few.
What is Fuzhou like compared to big American cities? Is it hard to ride a bike around or are there lots of people on bikes? What's your favorite age of students to teach? Which of your friends in America do you miss the most? :)
Have fun and stay away from earthquakes and tsunamis!

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi James, we came across your blog when looking for places to hangout in Fuzhou on the internet... we are living in xiamen right now, a seaside city 4-hr bus ride to the south of fz, but we visit your town every spring festival, as my whole family gets together in fz for the new year.I have spent years of my life in fz, but in the past 7 years, I only went back visiting my family once/twice a year, very briefly... We are thinking it would be great if we could have some friends in fz to hangout while we are there for spring festival, and if you are coming to xiamen sometime, please also let us know! You can contact us at jennypm@gmail.com / eseidner@gmail.com Hope to talk soon!
BTW, we like your blog.. reminds us of our early times in China. We also felt the "shaking" that night when the earthquake happened in tw, xiamen is even nearer to the site...good thing that the "earth" in fujian province is relatively steadier compared to tw or japan, otherwise, people will also greet each other like japanese do:"what's shaking?"

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you not shouting out a hello to the person who rescusitated you when you OD'd on that heroin awhile back?

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

James,
We really enjoy reading your interesting updates. Exciting things are happening with our church family. We are praying for you.
Be Blessed!

Charles & Beth

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi James, not blogging for a while... guess work keeps you pretty busy. Are you getting ready for the Spring Festival? As we talked earlier in the email, we are coming down to Fuzhou next Monday on the 12th!!! Our friend from Boulder colorado is joining us as well... let's keep in touch and see what's up. Will you be in town from the 12th to 25th of Feb.? Hope to see you then!

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't blame ya not checking my blog! I think I had to become angry and bored again to find my muse. I still read yours now and again. Watch out for that shaking and take care.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home